Friday, August 7, 2009

Nooks and Crannies, Boutiques and Hot Spots

Last summer on my way to the Silver Spring metro in the mornings, I often passed by a vacant lot on Fenton St. that had lots of chicory growing in it. And perching on the chicory were often goldfinches. Some days, I'd be treated to whole, swooping flocks of them. It made me appreciate the little nooks and crannies in this otherwise-urban landscape that allow nature to creep in. You don't always have to go to a big park to see nature.

Then, one day, someone mowed down all the weeds, and the birds moved on. The lot is now slated for development.

My little plot of chicory wasn't exactly Paradise. But I'll miss the goldfinches on my walk to work. And, soon, in their place, we probably will actually have a boutique and a hot spot. Which brings me to our special guest appearance for today:



Do you have a little patch of nature that you appreciate within the hustle and bustle of the city? Leave a comment and let us know about it (before it's gone).